My Entry Level life
I've been working as a QPB Assisstant at Russell Investments for the past few weeks, which kept me busy, and provided me with some much needed cash so that I can maintain the lifestyle that I'm so confortable living.
While at Russell I got to experience what it was like to work in downtown Toronto, which up until now, I never had. I got to hang out with Umu, Farooq and Aliza for lunch in the courtyard, which was cool, cause we would just chat, and enjoy the being outdoors and our surroundings. Every Wednesday they would have a live R&B performance in the courtyard, and while the Rogers Cup was in town, we saw Monica Seles and Kris Everett promoting the Rogers Cup with a little scrimmidge.
I've had a couple of interviews in the past week for various entry level jobs. One at Russell Investments, and one for BMO NBesbitt Burns. I've lost touch with Clarica for a bit, but I'm sure that if I call them up, I can still work for them. Right now, I think I want to work at Russell Investments as a Production Analyst. It'll be an entry level job, but it may provide me with great oppurtunities for the future.
I had some relatives in town for a week. I got to meet some of my cousins whom I barely remember, and who are surprisingly much older than I thought. Jenn and I spent the day with them just chilling, playing some mini-golf, drinking some beer, playing pool, and eating. It was nice. I have about 25 cousins or so on my mom's side, and none of them live here in Toronto. Well, 4 of them do, but they're like 12, 10, 3, and 2 years old...or something like that.
I realize that I should start paying off my student loans, which makes it more imparative that I get a job soon, and spend less money. Over the past week, I've bought a brown cord blazer, a messenger bag, and a set of golf clubs. I justify my purchases because a) I've been looking for that damn blazer this whole year, and I finally found one that's in my size! so I had to act on it! b) I've been looking for a messenger bag for months, and I got this Nike one for $25!!! Here's the bag I got which is listed for USD$60 on the Nike website: Messenger Bag. c)My mom is going to reimburse me for the bag as my Birthday present.
Funny Story about the Blazer I bought. I've been looking for this blazer for so ling, and when I finally find it, they never have it in my size. day after day, week after week, I go into H&M and they never have it in my size (42). So, one day after work, I had an hour to kill before going to a Toronto Film festival training session. Farooq and I go to Eaton Center and just browse around looking at clothes. He's been looking for a tan balzer, which he's found, but it's expensive as hell. I tell him to check out H&M as they have the cord blazer in tan, and recall seeing it ina 42. I was in a rush to get to the training session and tell him to go in by himself, figuring they wouldn't have a 42 in the brown anyways. So, I go to my training session, come home, and get an email from Farooq at around 10 at night saying that they had 3 brown blazers in a 42! Not only that, but he bought the tan one for himself. At this point my heart is just leaping out of my chest, and I'm kicking myself for not going in...but then I think about it for several minutes, and figure that he's just messing with me, cause well...it's Farooq. So I reply back to him with some choice words and go to bed, still thinking about whether it's a joke or not.
I get into work the next day, do some work, recieve an email saying that he's not joking and that they really did have 3 42's. So, I call him to confirm, and hear absolutely no hints of a lie in his voice. Without any hesitation, I get up, and make my way to H&M to buy the coat. Took me 40 mins to get there and back, but it was so worth it!
So, that's my life right now. Still waiting on that full time job which hopefully leads to something more in the future. Alot of people keep saying "don't worry, you'll get a job, and it's just entry level now, but you'll move up within 2 years" but I'm starting to doubt it a bit. As the days, weeks, and months go by, I feel like I won't really amount much to anything. I see everyone else getting jobs, good jobs too, or even the analysts at Russell, and I think that there must be something that I don't have. I don't know what it is, but it must be something. Why else is it that they're were they are, and I'm where I am. People say it's luck, but I don't think so. It's something else. and whatever that something is, I wish I had it.
While at Russell I got to experience what it was like to work in downtown Toronto, which up until now, I never had. I got to hang out with Umu, Farooq and Aliza for lunch in the courtyard, which was cool, cause we would just chat, and enjoy the being outdoors and our surroundings. Every Wednesday they would have a live R&B performance in the courtyard, and while the Rogers Cup was in town, we saw Monica Seles and Kris Everett promoting the Rogers Cup with a little scrimmidge.
I've had a couple of interviews in the past week for various entry level jobs. One at Russell Investments, and one for BMO NBesbitt Burns. I've lost touch with Clarica for a bit, but I'm sure that if I call them up, I can still work for them. Right now, I think I want to work at Russell Investments as a Production Analyst. It'll be an entry level job, but it may provide me with great oppurtunities for the future.
I had some relatives in town for a week. I got to meet some of my cousins whom I barely remember, and who are surprisingly much older than I thought. Jenn and I spent the day with them just chilling, playing some mini-golf, drinking some beer, playing pool, and eating. It was nice. I have about 25 cousins or so on my mom's side, and none of them live here in Toronto. Well, 4 of them do, but they're like 12, 10, 3, and 2 years old...or something like that.
I realize that I should start paying off my student loans, which makes it more imparative that I get a job soon, and spend less money. Over the past week, I've bought a brown cord blazer, a messenger bag, and a set of golf clubs. I justify my purchases because a) I've been looking for that damn blazer this whole year, and I finally found one that's in my size! so I had to act on it! b) I've been looking for a messenger bag for months, and I got this Nike one for $25!!! Here's the bag I got which is listed for USD$60 on the Nike website: Messenger Bag. c)My mom is going to reimburse me for the bag as my Birthday present.
Funny Story about the Blazer I bought. I've been looking for this blazer for so ling, and when I finally find it, they never have it in my size. day after day, week after week, I go into H&M and they never have it in my size (42). So, one day after work, I had an hour to kill before going to a Toronto Film festival training session. Farooq and I go to Eaton Center and just browse around looking at clothes. He's been looking for a tan balzer, which he's found, but it's expensive as hell. I tell him to check out H&M as they have the cord blazer in tan, and recall seeing it ina 42. I was in a rush to get to the training session and tell him to go in by himself, figuring they wouldn't have a 42 in the brown anyways. So, I go to my training session, come home, and get an email from Farooq at around 10 at night saying that they had 3 brown blazers in a 42! Not only that, but he bought the tan one for himself. At this point my heart is just leaping out of my chest, and I'm kicking myself for not going in...but then I think about it for several minutes, and figure that he's just messing with me, cause well...it's Farooq. So I reply back to him with some choice words and go to bed, still thinking about whether it's a joke or not.
I get into work the next day, do some work, recieve an email saying that he's not joking and that they really did have 3 42's. So, I call him to confirm, and hear absolutely no hints of a lie in his voice. Without any hesitation, I get up, and make my way to H&M to buy the coat. Took me 40 mins to get there and back, but it was so worth it!
So, that's my life right now. Still waiting on that full time job which hopefully leads to something more in the future. Alot of people keep saying "don't worry, you'll get a job, and it's just entry level now, but you'll move up within 2 years" but I'm starting to doubt it a bit. As the days, weeks, and months go by, I feel like I won't really amount much to anything. I see everyone else getting jobs, good jobs too, or even the analysts at Russell, and I think that there must be something that I don't have. I don't know what it is, but it must be something. Why else is it that they're were they are, and I'm where I am. People say it's luck, but I don't think so. It's something else. and whatever that something is, I wish I had it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home