Commentary: Back on the Raptor Bandwagon
ok, so I'll be the first to admit that I underestimated the team this year. I expected Bosh to play great. I thought Calderon and Garbosa would play well coming off a great performance at the World Championships, and I thought Bargnani would be like 8 and 4. The only thing I didn't expect, was that it would translate into actual wins. I missed most of the games in November and December since for the most part, I wasn't in the country, but since I've been back, I've watched a few games, and noticed one very important element that the raptors have lacked in the past few seasons. Talent? Team cohesiveness? No. What they lacked was the ability to close out games. The ability to get those crucial baskets in the waining minutes to get the W. That's what some of the best teams in the league are able to do. San Antonio for instance isn't the best team in the league. But come playoff time, I never count them out. In a 7-game series, they know how to pull it out and win 4, and that's what makes them a contender. The raps are far from contenders for a title, but look bound for a playoff spot, and more importantly, they offer us that shimmer of hope that one day, they will be contenders.
On another note, one of the reason's for their new found success (trust me, .500 is a success compared to the last few seasons), is their bench. I don't have any stats, but Toronto's got to have one of the deeper benches in the league. With Calderon, Peterson, and Bargnani coming in for about 15 -20 minutes a game, and providing 30 or so points, it really helps hold on to those tight games.
On an unrealted Raptor note, when Carter stepped on Maggette's foot, I couldn't help but feel slight jubilation. It's not really personal, and I'm actually glad that he's not hurt, but what can I say, old wounds run deep. They lost anyways, so that's all that matters.
On another note, one of the reason's for their new found success (trust me, .500 is a success compared to the last few seasons), is their bench. I don't have any stats, but Toronto's got to have one of the deeper benches in the league. With Calderon, Peterson, and Bargnani coming in for about 15 -20 minutes a game, and providing 30 or so points, it really helps hold on to those tight games.
On an unrealted Raptor note, when Carter stepped on Maggette's foot, I couldn't help but feel slight jubilation. It's not really personal, and I'm actually glad that he's not hurt, but what can I say, old wounds run deep. They lost anyways, so that's all that matters.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home